Dangerous start of inert gas generator

The chief mate was going to start an inert gas generator when making preparations for arrival. The generator room was located close to a room where some of the crew were asleep. To avoid waking any of them, the chief mate closed the door. However, he had forgotten to open the ventilation hatch and realised that there was a partial vacuum when his ears started hurting.
Det här innehållet kommer från vår tidigare hemsida och kan därför se annorlunda ut.

The chief mate was going to start an inert gas generator when making preparations for arrival. The generator room was located close to a room where some of the crew were asleep. To avoid waking any of them, the chief mate closed the door. However, he had forgotten to open the ventilation hatch and realised that there was a partial vacuum when his ears started hurting. He stopped the generator at the same time as he was finding it difficult to breathe.
When he tried to get out, he was unable to open the door as a result of the under-pressure and was forced to call to the bridge for assistance. After this near-accident a breaker was installed that prevents the generator from starting when the ventilation hatch is closed.

Share article:
Email
Twitter
Facebook